Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Can you believe it?!?!



It's been a while since I updated here.  Sadly, real life has had me by the short hairs and the little bitch  refuses to let go anytime soon.  But, I am hanging on because I am definitely not ready to let her win anytime soon.

My 41st birthday was a week ago today.  41...holy shit that is insane!  I don't even know how that happened; it literally was in the blink of an eye.  What's weird, is I still feel like that 17 year old high school kid...and probably act like one, too, if truth were told.  I don't care.  I like how I am; who I am.

On my birthday (complete coincidence, btw) I sent off my very first short story in an attempt to have it published.  It was a submission call from Dreamspinner Press.  A very sweet Lee Brazil suggested I try to submit something.  So, I did.  I worried and struggled and was just a complete and total lost mess.  Query letter?  WTF???  I was clueless.  Then, the super supportive and just-as-sweet, Hank Edwards, offered to help.  He read my story, offering me invaluable insight, teaching me to see my writing with new eyes.  I was astounded, and I will be forever grateful to him for that.

Because, I am certain that without his help, I wouldn't now be sending in my signed contract!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!  Dreamspinner wants to publish my story.  Mine!  ME!!!!

Getting that email yesterday, of all days, saying they wanted to publish it, for reasons I don't want to post about (MAJOR drag) because I don't want to harsh on my own happy-amazed-skunnered joy.

I just keep pinching myself.  It's nice to hear your friends say they love your writing, but I never know and always question if they are just saying that to be nice.  To have a publishing company offer you a contract??? It's just all kinds of validation and makes me want to get more words down, to keep going.  Stuck in bed as I am, it's the perfect time to accomplish that.  Makes me feel like the universe is conspiring to give me the chance to write...so weird.

So, on this St. Patrick's day, I may not be able to imbibe the green beer like I might want, but I feel like the luck of the Irish is now with me.


May St. Patrick guard you wherever you go,
and guide you in whatever you do--
and may his loving protection be a blessing to you always.


3 comments:

Denise Vega said...

Thats Awesome Honey Congrats & your not old my oldest daughter turned 40 om march 2,remember your age is just a number nothing else Sweetie your as old as you feel I'm 57 & believe I don't feel it on the inside where it counts even my daughters tell me to grow up what for & be a fuddy duddy Like I say you can't stop your age only how you deal with it so think young feel young be young Okay Sweetie Love you : )

Havan said...

Green beer is sooooo overrated . . . now Irish coffee . . . *winks* . . . congrats sweetheart! I'm soooo happy for you and no - we wouldn't tell you we liked your writing if we didn't . . . but I do understand what you are saying! *huggles* . . . now for your next submission . . . *winks*

Redhot said...

Well I hate to be one of those I TOLD YA SO!!!!! But it is a little late for that! I already told you that yesterday on the phone! I still get crazy looks when I do my little happy dance for you!